The school holidays schedule in 2011 in New Zealand is a little different than most other years thanks to the occurrence of the 2011 Rugby World Cup in October.
The first two schools terms of the year's four school terms have been slightly elongated to accommodate a change to the October term holiday to align it with the final of the Rugby World Cup.
For unrelated reasons, the New Zealand government has also decided to pull the earliest start date after the Christmas break back from 1st February to 31st January 2011. The latest start date remains 7th February.
20th December is the latest date at which primary schools can close in New Zealand for the Christmas holidays, and 13th December is the latest date when secondary schools can close.
Schools are free to close at any earlier date in December, ensuring that they have been open for a minimum of 390 half-days during the year for primary schools, and 380 half-days for secondary schools.
The major school holidays in 2011 in New Zealand thus occupy the free time between the following term dates:
- Term 1: Starts between 31st January/7th February, and ends on 15th April.
- Term 2: Starts on 2nd May, and ends on 15th July.
- Term 3: Starts on 1st August, and ends on 7th October.
- Term 4: Starts on 25th October, and must end no later than 13th or 20th December.
Aside from these long holidays, New Zealand schools also observe several days as public holidays:
- New Years Day - 1 January Day
- After New Years Day - 2 January
- Waitangi Day - 6 February
- Good Friday - 22 April
- Easter Monday - 25 April
- Day after Easter Monday - 26 April
- Anzac Day - 25 April
- Queen's Birthday - 6 June
- Labour Day - 24 October
- Christmas Day - 25 December
- Boxing Day - 26 December
For more information, visit minedu.govt.nz/theMinistry/EducationInNewZealand/SchoolTermsAndHolidays/2011SchoolTermsAndHolidays.aspx.