With car hire from Perth, you could be at Wave Rock within four hours. That may sound a lot, but given the enormity of the Western Australia outback, it's actually very accessible! Here's all the information you need to know to plan a visit during your Perth Australia holidays...
Car hire Perth
All major car rental companies are present in Perth, including Budget, Avis, Europcar and Thrifty. There are also a number of smaller and local rental companies. It's easy to find a good deal if you book in advance, but you shouldn't have any problems finding a rental car at the last minute either. Make sure that your insurance covers outback driving.
This enormous granite rock is one of Australia's most famous landmarks. It's poised like a huge multicoloured wave about to crash on the bush below. Wave Rock on its own is a sight worth the drive, but while in the area you can also:
- Take a bushwalk along Rock Walk trails
- Visit the wildlife park to see some native cuties up close and personal
- Discover Mulka's Cave, an Aboriginal outlaw and local hero
- See the salt lakes and in the spring, the endless sprays of wildflowers
- Drive to the rabbit proof fence, the edge of civilisation
- Swim or sail Lake Magic
Driving directions from Perth to Wave Rock
- Travel along the Albany highway through the Wheatbelt via Brookton
- Many travellers stop in Corrigin to see the dog cemetery
- Follow the signs to Hyden
- Rock is 3km east of Hyden
- The speed limit in open road is usually 110kmph, and 50kmph in country towns