Is a Passport needed for Australia when travelling from the UK?

Surrounded by the Indian and Pacific oceans, Australia is a beautiful place full of adventure, nature and wildlife. There is something for everyone whether you are taking a gap year or are looking for a family holiday away. Along with researching all the great activities to do there, it is important to spend time making sure you have the right documents beforehand and for starters that means bringing your passport.

    Adam.J.W.C. - Wikimedia

To travel to Australia, UK residents are required to hold a passport that is valid for the full duration of a stay. There are different types of visas that are available, such as a tourist or working visa which require travellers to have a passport. The visas can be attained either through getting an electronic visitor visa, also known as an eVisitor Visa free of charge or you will need to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) through the airline or travel agency which is cost A$20.

There are a few circumstances though where travellers do not have to have a passport on them upon arrival to Australia. One example is if you are a member of the Armed forces travelling on duty. Rather than needing a passport or visa, you only need to carry your military identity document, movement orders and a filled out incoming passenger card.

If you are travelling on a working visa, it is possible to renew it for a second year. In order to do this though, you will have had to have worked in a rural area in-country for 3 months during the first year. If you try and scam your way by saying you have worked in a rural area but really haven't, you will most likely be deported and be placed on a list that will mean you are unable to return to Australia for 3 years.

Also remember that oftentimes you will be required to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Australia. Failure to do so could put your visit down under at risk and it is also imperative that you can present a valid return ticket or onward ticket to show you are not intent on moving to Australia.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2020