After an invigorating stroll along the promenade, or a visit to those pintxo bars, you'll feel like a dip. We picked out some of the best hotels in San Sebastian with a pool.
- The Barcelo Costa Vasca (www.barcelo.com), near Ondarreta beach and the Miramar Palace Gardens, offers an idyllic escape in the city. The outdoor pool, open for the duration of the summer, is located within attractive gardens, and the hotel also offers spa facilities and a wellness centre. Double rooms start at £109 per night.
- The Hotel Mercure on Monte Igueldo enjoys panoramic views over San Sebastian and its curved beach. It's just 800 yards from Ondarreta beach, and 15 minutes walk from San Sebastian centre. The outdoor swimming pool is open from July through to September. Double rooms cost from £120.
- The Avenida Hotel is close to Ondarreta and Concha beaches, ideal for those evening strolls exploring the seafood restaurants. It has an outdoor pool alongside a fitness facility, so you can feel virtuous enough after a swim and workout not to feel too guilty about all that shellfish you ordered at dinner. Double rooms are available from £82.
- The Hotel Gudamendi, on a hilltop overlooking the bay, is an attractive, bijou Basque mansion popular with Spanish visitors. It has a comfortable family atmosphere, with a relaxing outdoor pool and pleasant gardens. Rooms start at £89 per night.
- The 5 star Hotel Maria Cristina (www.hotel-mariacristina.com) is a lavish jewel in the heart of San Sebastian, with elaborate Edwardian decor and an impressive Belle Epoque atmosphere. The Hydra wellness centre and spa provides an indoor pool as well as a sauna and fitness rooms. Luxury double rooms cost from £140 for a night in one of the most popular hotels in San Sebastian with a pool.