- You are in:
- Homepage >
8 interesting facts about Indonesia
- Getty Images
On Thursday morning in the busy shopping district in Jakarta, there were suicide bombings that took place thus far killing 7 people. It is important to have a better understanding of the country as a whole and what it looks like.
1. The population of Indonesia has reached over 250 million as of 2013, making it the 4th most populous country in the world. The capital city of Jakarta is the 13th largest city in the world with over 11.3 million people.
2. There are6 officially recognized religions in this country, Islam, Catholicism, Buddhism, Protestantism, Hinduism and Confucianism. It is the most populous Muslim country in the world even though it is a secular state with around 73% of the population being Muslim.
3. Indonesia is the largest archipelago in the world consisting of over 18,000 individual islands spread out over more than 5,000 km. This is the perfect country for those that enjoy diving.
4. The Grasberg mine in the province of Papua is the largest gold mine in the world producing around 4% of the global gold production. It is majority owned by the American company, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
5.It’s national motto is Unity in Diversity which is on their national symbol.
6. It is the world's largest supplier of none other than Nutmeg which can be used in food and as medicine.
7. Along with 11 other countries, it is located on both sides of the equator and has over 400 volcanoes
8.The worlds largest flower, Rafflesia arnoldii, can be found in the Indonesian rainforest. It can reach the width of up to 3 feet and can weigh a whopping 15 pounds! Don't take too big of a whiff though as it produces a wretched odor.